Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Window 8 - I hate you so much

Assalammualaikum,

For quite sometime, I did not blog. Why. Maybe I am more hooked up with other social network and busy with my work. Anyway, I want to blog my experience in fixing my (hopefully) final (on the list) problem with the latest crappy upgrade of windows 8.

For almost 2 months now I fiddling with my lap top in order to fix this problem. My problem ranging from screen went blank to my laptop totally stop functioning. One remains, my Metro Apps doesn't work. I must admit, it is really annoying and frustrating.

Anyway, today I came across a quit decent review on how to fix my problem. I would like to share the link: 


Ok lets begin.

1. Check to make sure that your screen resolution is at least 1024X768

Ok I go to screen resolution and it stated that I am using more than what is required. DONE

2. Confirm if the issue reproduces with all user accounts. Metro apps aren't supported if you are running with a built-in administrator account (happens mostly when upgrading).

Slightly understood what this guy trying to explain it to me... anyway, next step is more understandable

3. Check if UAC (User Account Control) is enabled. UAC must be enabled for Metro apps to work. To check, simply type UAC from the home screen and it will appear on the Settingssearch result.

At home screen where there is Metro apps, I just typed User Account Control setting and walla... there is what we looking for at the moment. I change it to always notify, clicked OK and I refreshed the screen. Go to metro apps.... NOPE still doesn't work. Ok next step

4. Try running System File Checker to see if it can identify/restore any system files. (See instructions below)

I entered the "Start screen" and I pressed Windows key + C. Wow! Now I know what is the function of the so-called windows key. The writer mentioned that what going to pop-up is the " Charms bar". Nice new term (I guess).

Now this is where I almost give up. I actually went to NAB website to check my account's balance to know how much I got to buy a new computer (not my computer fault actually...Its the w8).

Axl Rose once said... All you need is just a little patience... I got it... You must carefully read the instruction without missing any important step. OK this are the steps.

* Press Windows key + C on your keyboard to show the Charms bar. 
Click Search (actually you can simply type command prompt at home screen where there is Metro apps, but for god sake, just follow the steps Azmi)
Type Command Prompt into the Search field
Right click Command Prompt (I miss this part)
Click Run as administrator
Enter the command: sfc /scannow

The scanning part take a long time. While waiting, better for you to go for coffee, pray (for Muslim), cooking, cycling, golfing or even go for holiday (sarcastically).

 After 2 cups of coffee and a journey to various countries (travel by google). Some gibberish stuff appears. Don't bother with the outcome, I refer back to the instructions and it was mentioned....

"Once the scan has finished the results will be displayed within the Command Prompt. Try accessing the Metro style apps that weren't working before. If they don't work, try restarting your computer and test again. If the apps still don't work properly the next step will be step 5."


5. If you get to step 5, here is what will happen when you refresh your PC:
  • Your files and personalization settings won't change.
  • Your PC settings will be changed back to their defaults.
  • Apps from Windows Store will be kept.
  • Apps you installed from discs or websites will be removed.
  • A list of removed apps will be saved on your desktop.

To refresh your PC:

  • Press the Windows key + C on your keyboard to show the Charms bar (If you are using a touchscreen: Touch the right edge of the screen and swipe your finger toward the center of the screen to show the Charms bar.)
  • Click Settings
  • Click More PC settings
  • Click General in the left column
  • Under Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Now I am in step 5. Obviously, I am still struggling with my W8. so I perform all the steps above and the results......

IT DOESN'T work.... Damm you Windows 8.

Nothing to offer here accept these are the short cuts that might be helpful.

Other New Keyboard Shortcuts

Start+C: Open charms

Start+Q: Search charm

Start+H: Share charm

Start+K: Devices charm

Start+I: Settings charm

Start+Q: Search apps

Start+W: Search settings

Start+F: Search files (It's easier to just type directly into the Start screen, but these take you directly to your desired search category.)

Start+,: Peek at desktop

Start+B: Back to desktop

Start+Enter: Open Windows Narrator

Start+X: Open system utility settings menu

For Live Apps

Start+.: Snap app left

Start+Shift+.: Snap app right

Start+Z: App options

Start+Tab: Cycle through app history

Start+F4: Close an app


Mohamad Azmi Nias Ahmad
PhD Candidate
Faculty of Business and Law
School of Accounting, Economics and Finance
Edith Cowan University
270 Joondalup Drive
Joondalup, WA 6027
Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment